> > Leo,This has been covered many times before. It's 140 UTF-8 characters.
> > Please search the archives of this group for the complete conversation,
>
> If you cared to read my messages, you_d have seen that they reference
> half a dozen conversations in this list, with "employee participation"
> as you put it, plus wiki pages to boot.  Further, they address several
> different issues other than _it_s 140_:
>
>  - Encoding/byte/character confusion _in the API wiki_, which is not
> publicly editable.
>  - The pointlessness of counting <> as entities for the message limit,
> instead of it being a view-specific property.
>  - The dangerousness of converting other, unspecified characters to
> HTML entities.
>  - Lack of formal definition of what transformations are used for SMS
> sending (SMS cannot use UTF-8; further, all possible combinations of
> {140, 160} UTF-8 {bytes, characters} might or might not fit an SMS; &
> other issues I listed above).

Actually, I'm going to back Leo here. It's confusing to me also. There was
also a question about whether the backing store was truncating tweets
over 140 bytes (not characters) and I don't remember if this was resolved.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckai...@floodgap.com
-- He hadn't a single redeeming vice. -- Oscar Wilde --------------------------