We do the same at Twitterfall - recursive calls from parent to parent
until there is no more. Check out http://twitterfall.com (find
something that is a proper reply first). An icon appears between the
two user names when it thinks there is a conversation. Sometimes it
fails because it is doing a check for tweets starting with '@someone'
too (because IIRC search results do not return the tweet ID the tweet
is replying to) for popular trends, as our backend sends out limited
tweet data.

David
Lead Developer
Twitterfall.com