From what I understand, it is UTC time. The +/-0000 is the offset depending on what zone you are in.

This allows for a time value that is the same across the world, but can be offset for any particular locale.

I think http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time will explain it adequitly. You can also read in the time value from the API and compare it to the time shown on Twitter.com. Then change your preferences to alter your time zone. This is a good way to see how the offsets work as you go.
--
Scott
Iphone says hello.