I noted that the screen name (and user id) are returned along with the
Access token and secret.

It this a documented feature that I can rely upon?

The only related thread that I found on this topic was:
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/8b24ab7dbb326d5f/10e6b73bd9fdce69

That thread was apparently referring to the callback after
authorization and why screen_name and user_id were removed for
security reasons.  Matt mentioned that the verify_credentials method
was the solution in that case.

If I have the screen_name available with the Access token/secret, I
don't see a need for calling verify_credentials at all in the
process.  I don't really need the screen name until after I exchange
my request token for an access token.   Can I rely on getting the
screen_name this way?  Am I missing another reason for needing to call
verify_credentials?

Thanks,

- Scott Carter
@scott_carter