The doc says: "IP whitelisting takes precedence to account rate
limits. GET requests from a whitelisted IP address made on a user's
behalf will be deducted from the whitelisted IP's limit, not the
users."

http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Rate-limiting

If he's seeing a 20k limit, then that implies it's a whitelisted IP.
According to the above, that IP would take precedence over the account
user's passed in credentials.

Yes?

Both Matt and Doug answered this question though, so I feel like I
must be reading this wrong. :)

-damon
--
http://twitter.com/damon