From: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com
[mailto:twitter-development-t...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Alex Payne
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:07 PM
To: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com
Subject: [twitter-dev] Re: Is it okay to close a connection by opening a new
one?

If you're only doing this every hour, that's fine by us.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 15:58, owkaye <owk...@gmail.com> wrote:

The Streaming API docs say we should avoid opening new
connections with the same user:pass when that user already
has a connection open.  But I'm hoping it is okay to do this
every hour or so, here's why:

My plan is to write the streaming XML data to a text file
during each connection -- but I don't want this file to get
so big that I have trouble processing it on the back end.
Therefore I want to rotate these files every hour ...

This means I have to stop writing to the file, close it, move
it somewhere else, and create a new file so I can use the new
file to continue storing new streaming XML data.

The obvious way for me to close these files is to close the
connection -- by opening a new connection -- because from
what I've read it seems that opening a new connection forces
the previous connection to close.

Can I do this without running into any black listing or
denial of service issues?  I mean, is this an acceptable way
to close a connection ... by opening a new one in order to
force the old connection to close?

Any info you can provide that will clarify this issue is
greatly appreciated, thanks!

Owkaye

--
Alex Payne - Platform Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x