On Jul 15, 5:45 pm, Bill Kocik <bko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Status updates don't count toward  your rate limit
> (although Twitter may separately notice a large number of updates
> which are nothing more than URLs and mark you a spammer or something,
> but that's another discussion).

Interesting, thanks! I did not think of the different limits. For
updates there seems to be a limit of 1000 per day:
http://help.twitter.com/forums/10711/entries/15364

But it might be a start as long as my application is not very popular.
Atm it is more a testbed for me - although I think in general the
application of showing tweets referencing a URL is a valid interest.

I think the only solutions in the wild use something like twitpic,
where you enter a message at twitpic and twitpic ads an identifier to
find the message (the url to twitpic in that case).

But it would be kind of cool to be able to do that for everything, for
example on blog posts. I have been wondering if for blogs it would be
easier to analyze the referrer log, but I don't think it would work.
Referrer would either be just bit.ly (?), or it would be twitter.com/
home and stuff like that.

Björn