On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Nick Arnett <nick.arn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm... just tried a few and sure enough, the bit.ly URLs generated by
> Twitter seem to be unique to Twitter, although consistent. Apparently
> Twitter has enabled bit.ly URL tracking. There's a horrible solution to
> that, too... tweet the original URL and then read back the status to get the
> Twitter-specific bit.ly URL.  Ugh.
>
> Nick

Those generated BY Twitter, sure. But plenty of people are using clients or
plugins that are doing their own shortening, whether by bit.ly or otherwise,
so they can track their own stats. If I go tweet a bit.ly URL I created in
my own personal account with bit.ly, it will stick with my bit.ly URL, not a
Twitter-gen'd bit.ly URL.