JD,
Whether talking to the Twitter API or any other API on the web, always check
the response code before attempting to do any processing of the response
body. Proceed only if you got a 200 (or the response code you expected for
that particular operation). Many things can go wrong in the process of
making an HTTP request between your computer and our servers.

--
Alex Payne - Platform Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x