On Jul 17, 4:44 pm, Matt Sanford <m...@twitter.com> wrote:
>      Your proposal works if everybody plays by the rules but I think
> email spam has taught us that's an unrealistic expectation. Think of
> shortening malwareurl.com via Bit.ly and then including the hash for
> the URL to a popular YouTube video. Applications searching for the
> YouTube video would find the tweet, provide it to users, and infect
> them. Shorteners have the general problem of not knowing the

Good call, however it would be necessary in any case to compare the
URLs found via the scheme with the original URL. So the process would
be to search Twitter for the URLs via the hash tag, then resolve those
URLs to their final destination and check if it is indeed the right
URL. That would be necessary anyway because a hashing standard for
URLs could not guarantee uniqueness of hashes. URL shorteners have it
easier because they can take of uniqueness via their database.

Björn