On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 07:53:27AM -0700, Bjoern wrote:

> look for example at this: http://twitter.com/statuses/show/2689100482.json
>
> My status update was "test html escaping by twitter <b>bold</b>" but
> Twitter sends me "test html escaping by twitter &lt;b&gt;bold&lt;\/
> b&gt;"
>
> So it has transformed the "<" and "<" into HTML entities &lt; and &gt;
> [...]
> Hope that clarifies it?

Yes it does.   It seems the API encodes &lt;, &gt;, &amp;, and &quot;.
(I should have realized that was what you meant in the first place ---
haven't had enough coffee yet this morning.)

And I see your point.

Though I can see the reason for the encoding.  Imagine the havoc which
could ensue if some unknowing app developer forgets to encode texts,
allowing nefarious parties to post raw HTML to their site via twitter.

As you stated at the top of the thread --- it's easy enough to decode
the entities yourself, if you want the raw text.

Sorry for the interruption... carry on!

Jeff