On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Andrew Badera <and...@badera.us> wrote:

> Old news. This topic of conversation has been around since the
> internetworked opensourced clones like laconi.ca started growing in
> popularity.
>
> I think you missed the point.  What if TweetDeck, for example, by default
also published the user's tweetstream as an RSS feed, letting the user
choose where to publish it?  What if every app did that?  Everybody's
tweetstreams would be distributed on the Internet, rather than centralized
at Twitter.

Before Twitter existed, nobody had the traction to make this happen.  There
wasn't even a place for developers to *talk* about this level of
cooperation.  But now there is, right here.

Does anybody really think that the current centralized model can scale as
fast as the market wants?

Seems to me that it is in the best interests of app developers to work
together toward less dependency on Twitter as a repository.  And even though
it might seem like it is against Twitter's interest to do so, in the long
run I suspect its very survival depends on finding a role in which it
doesn't have to have every tweet on the planet flow through its servers.

Nick