Basic Auth requires that the username and password are Base64 encoded,
concatenated together with a colon (":") between them. Be sure that
you're encoding the username and password without applying URL
encoding or HTML escaping. An ampersand ("&") will never occur in a
Base64 encoded string.

An example, in Ruby:

>> Base64.b64encode('bob:pass&word')
=> "Ym9iOnBhc3Mmd29yZA==\n"

--
Alex Payne - Platform Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x