In your first email you said "When I check an oAuth'd user's rate limit, he
also seems gets 20000 API hits." so I'm not sure what you are seeing.
Also it used to be that user requests from a whitelisted IP would reflect on
the users limit unless they had hit their rate limit at which point it would
count against the IP. I'm not sure if it still works this way though.
Abraham