"What gives Twitter the right to dictate who you want to follow or
not?"

Its their service. They can dictate what they want. Their playground,
their rules. The ToS clearly says they can alter their terms at any
time and if you don't want to comply you can leave.

That being said, this is to prevent people who are massively following
and unfollowing (as I see happen dozens of times daily on my account).
You aren't going to get banned for not following someone back, or for
unfollowing someone that bothers you.

dave