Do you use Google Optimizer?

If not, go there.  Setup a test to compare sign-ups to your app
between OAuth and Basic Auth.  Give 50% the option to sign up with
OAuth; 50% the option to sign up with Basic Auth.  The results may
surprise you.

In my tests, I have found statistically significant more signups from
Basic Auth than from OAuth.

But maybe that's not so surprising.

Users are accustomed to giving username/password information, even to
"foreign" apps.  They are far LESS accustomed to going to Twitter and
hitting some bizarre "approve" button.  To them, that's far more
invasive and often more cumbersome (they may have to relogin to
Twitter) than simply having to retype their Twitter username/password.

The net result from using OAuth for third-party developers is fewer
sign-ups than from using Basic Auth.  Plus, as recent unannounced
changes by Twitter have indicated, Basic Auth is far more reliable.
(I am talking about the several day outage of OAuth a few weeks ago;
and today's unannounced API change to OAuth which breaks multiple
Twitter interface libraries.)

SO... user response, Twitter unresponsiveness (when it comes to
unannounced API changes), and other factors are prompting me into the
weird position of deprecating OAuth and promoting Basic
Authentication.

Weird, eh!?