I agree with you Dave.  I have several thought about new
services based on searching Twitter's historical data.
Unfortunately my ideas appear to be getting less and less
practical.

Twitter claims to have all its data stored in disk-based
databases from what I understand ... yet without access to
this data it is worthless.

It seems to me they could allow searches of this historical
data via a new "History API" then let us cache the results
on our own servers.  Most of the services I've conceived
would do this infrequently -- never in real time -- and
would not impact their existing "cached" server data because
this historical data would exist on separate data storage
servers ... theoretically anyways.

Owkaye