I'm sure others feel the same way Dave, but it looks and
feels like Twitter is moving in the opposite direction.

The load on a server to extract a big dataset once a month
would be minimal, and both you and I can see the value in
this approach. But I'm not sure the folks at Twitter do, or
if they do maybe they just don't have the people who can
(and will) get things like this implemented.  Is a shortage
of competent staff the cause of this type of problem?

Even though I have the capabilities I do not have the
'resume' to get a job there and help them deal with some of
this stuff, nor do I have the contacts within the Twitter
organization to put a good word in for me and help me get
hired so I could do good things for them.

I'm 52 years old too, and my age seems to be a negative to
most of the Web 2.x companies hiring these days.  This is
kind of a shame considering that people like me frequently
have broader-based experience and insights that are
sometimes lacking in younger people, and because of this we
can add a lot more value in the areas of planning and
structural development than people half our age.  Our coding
skills are honed after so many years of experience too, not
to mention the thousands of code snippets we have collected
over the years to contribute to making us even faster.

But since jobs like this are basically not open to me and
many other folks my age, my alternative is to remain self-
employed and try to build something on top of their existing
available source data and API's ... and then deal with the
issues and frustrations created when building a service on
top of a 'moving target' that sometimes seems to be moving
in funny directions.

I hear about Twitter having lots of money to work with, and
I'm probably wrong here but it almost seems like there's too
little of this money being dedicated to paying new talent
with long term views of some of these issues, and who will
implement wise policies to help support and encourage rapid
growth in the areas that are lacking.  But once again this
might just be due to a shortage of the right staff.

Obviously we cannot do anything from the outside except
point out these issues and ask questions, or beg and plead
for changes, but it sure would be great if a few of us could
actually get in there as employees and implement a couple of
the new features we really need -- such as a new Historical
Search API for example.  Then developers like you and I
could proceed with some of our plans now, instead of months
or years from now ... or possibly never.  I would love to
lead a team on a project like this, or even be one of its
members, but until it happens I'll focus on building my own
little space in the Twitter universe and continue to hope
for the best.

:)

Owkaye