Ah, I see.  I was misled by the Twitter.com website.

If go to Twitter.com and select "Direct Messages" on the right, you
are taken to a screen with a dropdown list for selecting the
recipient.  That dropdown does -not- have all of my followers in it.

But, I see that if I browse to the profile of one of my followers, I
can send them a direct message from there.

Thanks, Abraham!

Followup: Twitter Devs, what's the rationale for not showing all
potential recipients in the dropdown?