the former is assuming UTF-8, which is likely the correct assumption to
make. %E9 is the actual unicode codepoint, whereas the %C3%A9 is the UTF-8
encoding of said codepoint. I believe the API wiki says something about
requiring UTF-8 encoding (and if it doesn't, it should).

--
Internets. Serious business.