Jesse,

Amen to that.

When one does customer support for long enough, you quickly realize
that:

a) People do not read instructions, and

b) Many people are not as computer literate as you'd wish them to be.

If you send people all over the place, many go, "WTF," and abandon the
process out of fear or ignorance.

With Basic Auth the process is very simple. Enter the username and
password on your site, and click the save button. It shouldn't be any
more involved or complicated with OAuth.

Dewald