What does it mean to be "read" though? A public tweet can be "read" by
anyone by any widget that pulls it. If it's DL'ed by any of the various
*hose feeds, does that mean it's been "read"? What if it's searched and
found?

I find it very hard to believe that this makes sense in Twitter's paradigm

--
Internets. Serious business.