So, like everyone else I was receiving 408's from all our production
servers. Wasnt sure what was causing it, but it turned out to be that
twitter is blocking the IPs. Ok, must be related to the ddos stuff
from earlier on- Must have gotten caught in the crossfire.

So I go ahead and use some development servers to start sending
requests- All is fine, for about a hour. They are blocked now. So to
anyone out there, there is no point using a new IP- It will get
blocked within a hour or so. I guess we have to wait for twitters host
to fix it, or use actionscript/ajax to have the end user request the
data himself (Which is what I am going to do) so its always a unique IP