Can someone point me to the details on the attack? I am a little out of the loop. I've heard Twitter only uses around 200Mbit/s of data. From a net ops perspective, why is this challenging to detect and block?

I'm not trying to degrade the efforts of the engineers, this is a genuine question of curiosity.

I would imagine a detection system is in place, so why not block off at the upstream the offending attack?

As far as the API is concerned, I'm not sure I see why this can't be prevented in the future. If every Twitter app had to get an API key, which I believe is the case, those get whitelisted, all else are blocked.

Create a test sandbox for easy non key based testing of new developers who want to play. There are a few thousand third party apps, whitelist their secret keys and how is this not solved for API reliability?
--
Scott
Iphone says hello.