On 8/9/09 10:00 AM, Joe Bowman wrote:
First off, to people stating that Twitter Ops needs to work 30 hour
shifts, and any ops person who hasn't, isn't a real ops person. A real
ops person knows that after about 15 hours their mental capacity to
solve problems begins to deteriorate and they have to rest in order to
not cause further damage to their organization. Maybe in the little
mom and pop shops where you run the show you're stuck with those 30
hour marathons, but in larger shops you have team members, and you
schedule with them.

"People" didn't state it.  I did.

I've worked in Ops in small 3-person companies as well as for 5,000+ employee companies with an IT team of 60+ people. In both situations, there have been exceptional times where yes, I've taken a 30 minute nap on the floor to recharge through a 30+ hour marathon emergency situation.

I'm not suggesting that these people don't need to sleep (unless they have access to some Provigil and/or Adderall), but if Twitter isn't treating this outage as a #1 priority - and I mean literally, not figuratively - then it's a clear message to us in the third-party ecosystem that we'd better not make them our primary focus because we can't rely on them being here tomorrow if things get really bad.

Here's an interesting game to play: how many Twitter people (Ops or otherwise) do you think are actively working on fixing the problem at this very moment? (Don't include people "just communicating" or otherwise not able to directly affect the situation.)

    a) 0
    b) 1-5
    c) 6-10
    d) 11-15
    e) 16-20
    f) 20+

I'm guessing (c), 6-10.  And, that's me being optimistic for a change.

--
Dossy Shiobara              | do...@panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/