I don't work on the API team, and normally don't respond to REST API
questions, so please bear with any inaccuracies:

I haven't heard anything about Twitter explicitly turning application
registration off. I believe that all parts of Twitter.com should be
working correctly -- albeit sometimes slowly or with timeouts or with
503s... but everything should be working.

I've escalated the app registration issue to the API team. I cannot
offer a response time as I don't know what any of the issues are or
what the priority would be for fixing this problem. It might be
helpful to have a detailed trace of a failure or two sent to
a...@twitter.com should a resource become available to look at this
issue.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki