Here also lies an ongoing issue I see repeated over and over with
regard to all social applications (but especially Twitter) - the
assumption that how the author uses the tool is how and why everyone
uses that tool.

ie not all Twitter accounts are used to follow others actively - but
in somecases autofollow is needed (a business app account using DM's
to control the app for example - or just a business wanting DM's as a
way for direct input from customers. Some of these accounts might then
also use who they follow monitor conversations (but most would likely
use the wider net of Twitter search)

And not all accounts need to be about outbound updates - some (likely
many I suspect) are used mostly to follow a few key (for that person)
accounts - could be friends could just be celebrities.

My point is that the beauty of open, flexible social apps is that
there is not a "right" way to use them nor do all users have to use
them in the same way or for the same reasons.

I do not think there should be caps on following (or on unfollowing).
I know I frequently don't follow anyone back forany days then when I
have an hour or so go through my new followers and see who if anyone I
want to follow. Likewise while I occasionally unfollow someone my
bursts of unfollow activity (rarer) have occurred again when I had
time and went through who I was following to pare things back a bit.

Shannon

(now back to my wrestling with Oauth and which API's to use for my new
project)

Sent from my iPhone