It sounds like what you're looking for is a Javascript library, though
I'm not familiar with any.

It certainly sounds feasible; you could do Ajax calls to talk to the
API.  The trick would be in how you choose to persist the OAuth
tokens.

*wheels turning in head*.  A Twitter client that resides completely in
a single HTML file.  Hmmmmm.......