I must admit that I didn't put enough weight on the fact that the new
retweet API will not incorporate the ability to edit/append/comment on
the original tweet.  I do have to agree with you, Paul on how common
place that practice is.

My mindset was that why hold back a feature that solves one problem
just because it doesn't solve two.  What I didn't take into
consideration is that it creates another problem - disparate methods
of retweeting because people will revert back to the old method of
retweeting when they DO want to comment on the original tweet.  That
makes any method of aggregating retweets posted via the API method
incomplete.  That is a BIG minus.  Almost big enough for me to switch
sides on this issue.

One thing I have believed from the beginning is as you mentioned, this
feature obviously spawned from an idea on how to optimize Twitter's
back end.  Twitter could have easily encorporated the ability to
append comments to a retweet into their API.  But when you think about
the new API as a solution to eliminating dupe tweets and replacing
them with short referrer records, that optimization plan only works if
you don't allow retweet records to contain additional content.

With Twitter's enormous traffic and growth rate, I can see Twitter
spending countless hours in system optimization brainstorm sessions
every day.  With all the solutions I'm sure they are implementing
constantly, there are bound to be a few of them that they can't keep
transparent to the end users and platform developers.  This is
obviously one of them.

It's reminiscent of a few months ago when they removed the ability for
users to view ALL mentions posted by people they follow.  They used
logical reasoning to justify removing a supported feature to help
lighten a process on their system.  It upset a small, but noisy
percentage of their users, but they survived the backlash.