I get this response quite frequently:

<!-- <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";> -->
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0.1">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY><P></BODY>
</HTML>

And other people are getting it as well (
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/acdcb4baf76037c8/e0ac9745e4c9bfe9?lnk=gst&q=refresh#e0ac9745e4c9bfe9
).

What is the recommended way of handling this? I could do an immediate
refresh and hope for the best, which is my initial thought. But the
other question is, why is a request for JSON returning HTML?

The request that seems to be the most problematic for me in this
regard is:
http://twitter.com/statuses/friends.json

I am authenticating via OAuth and not using Curl.