I have exchanged emails with Twitter on this and I believe they are
working on it.

We use search extensively at www.Twaller.com . The errors in search
that we are seing is as follows:

(1) HTTP status code: 403
     Message:The request is understood, but it has been refused.  An
accompanying error message will explain why.

(2)HTTP status code: 503
Message:Service Unavailable: The Twitter servers are up, but
overloaded with requests. Try again later. The search and trend
methods use this to indicate when you are being rate limited.

(3) HTTP status code: -1
Message:Read timed out

These errors are becoming more and more frequent lately.

/Amitab