Zac,

It's possible that the track filter is missing something, but there's
probably other misunderstandings that are clouding things.

I don't know how Tweespeed comes up with their numbers, but the
Streaming API only makes available a proportion of all public
statuses. Spam accounts, for example, are filtered out, as are
protected accounts, direct messages, etc. etc. My guess is that
Tweespeed is assuming that status_ids are assigned sequentially and
they are just reporting the velocity of that column.

Your estimate that 40% of tweets contain a link seems more than 2x too
high. You can come up with a very accurate number by collecting a
sampled feed for a few hours or days (there are diurnal and daily
patterns to everything on Twitter) and dividing out. Even 10 minutes
of the default sampled feed (the old "spritzer") will give you an
idea.

Without knowing your sample size, day of week, or time of day, I'd say
that your reported matches per minute and limited statuses per minute
are pretty good. I don't think you are missing much, if anything,
other than the statuses reported by the limit message.

As a double check, I just ran a quick test with the highest level of
track and compared the result against the firehose. In a one minute
sample, the track feed had matched the same tweets as the firehose
piped to 'grep -i http'.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc