Great ideas. thanks a lot.

Based on your data:
 40,000 users, pull every 15 minutes, that means 44.5 requests/
second.  Do you pull the data for everyone , or are there any short
cuts that we can save server load?

Also, did you do DMs as well?  if so then you will need to deal 90
requests/second. Can a single VPS do that? which VPS provider? I want
to buy that VPS :)