The Search team is working on indexing latency and throughput, along
with a many other things. There have been big improvements recently
and more are on the way.

In the mean time, if you need closer to real-time results, consider
the track parameter on the Streaming API.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.