I think changeable screen_names are a big problem even outside the
api, for links for example : twitter accounts are linked everywhere
with uri http://twitter.com/screen_name so it may cause 404 if the
user changes his/her screen_name, or worst if someone else takes it,
it will link to the wrong place ! Such links should be very low valued
by search engines. This is even not what it's called Unique Ressource
Identifier...