David, that's a long-time issue, and I believe there may even be a few bugs
open for it.  Twitter has recommended you use the pagination methods for
users with over a certain number of followers (they haven't seemed to be
able to specify what that number is).  Unfortunately, as we saw a couple
days ago, even that's not reliable all the time.