the first request is figuring out the relation between the users
http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method:-friendships-show
and the second request to send the direct message

but it seams the the only solution as Abraham Williams said "If you
don't wan't to make 2 API calls just try sending the DM and if it
fails then you know there is no friendship there. "

but i this irritate me and the user who see "sending message ..." and
then see "Oops you can't send direct msg, may be he don't follow you"