Greg,

All users can access the streaming API at default access levels. Roles
can give elevated access through the same URLs -- more statuses, more
keywords, etc.

"Gardenhose" access is additional access on the /1/statuses/
sample.format resource.

You should use the track keyword on the /1/statuses/filter.format
resource. If the default access level is insufficient, we can discuss
upgrading your access to restricted track. Most apps can run fine
without elevated access.

You should not use /gardenhose.format resource. It works via backward
compatibility mode and will go away shortly.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.