This.

I've always thought that the obvious path would be to have unique
error codes that never change. So if there's an auth fail it returns
1234 and 1234 corresponds to a specific message that is called
externally. So we send the error code we're getting and it replies
with the message and a description. So say they decide to change "auth
fail" to "auth has failed" developers see no changes, unless they're
using the twitter error message and then the message changes. So we
have unique error codes that, when requested, return an error message
that can be changed whenever you guys like and has no affect on
developers and their apps. So for debugging we can simply call the
description and error message from the code, but in a live environment
we can build our own error handling based upon the error code, without
having to constantly watch out for changes.

Apologies if that lacks sense, not very good at explaining.