For applications like yours, moving to the Streaming API will increase
the quality of service for you and decrease load for us. A big part of
building an effective application on our API is figuring out which
methods to use and what strategies to use for retrieving information
and sending updates and direct messages. If you reach out to us
(a...@twitter.com), we're happy to help with that.

Often times, we don't hear from unhappy developers until they're
already outraged and posting on their blogs or in this group. Please:
give us a chance to help you out first. We may not always be able to
make your particular issues our highest priority, but we'll give it
our best shot. If you're still pissed, then you can go vent :)

And yes, reporting bugs with detailed debugging output (HTTP requests
and responses with all headers and full response bodies) are
incredibly useful. We essentially can't help you without this
information for any non-trivial bugs.

Another huge help to us: if you know anyone who either wants to join
our team as an engineer or help us out with full- or part-time
developer support, please send them to http://twitter.com/jobs. We're
a very small team with a very big job, but we've got the funding to
add more people. Please, please, please send good people our way!
Every addition to the team helps us help you.

--
Alex Payne - Platform Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x