The issue could be with the posting account, and not with the hashtag,
per se.

If you are only looking for hashtags programatically, consider using
the track parameter on the Streaming API. You will see single
character hashtags there, along with a lot of spurious matches like
#I'malittleteapot.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.