um...

"As mentioned previously, the Twitter operations team will artificially
increase the maximum status ID to 4294967296 this coming Friday,
September 11th. This action is part of routine database upgrades and
maintenance. "

http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/8fde4804c5a75fb2

it appears to me that tw2k9 (<-- my new abbreviation, sorry, have typed
twitpocalypse 2 too many times) is about using the full 32-bit int
space.  agreed, it didn't make much sense to announce that you were
going to now utilize the full address space, but that *is* how it was
announced - increase the new *maximum* status ID [emphasis mine] to
4294967296.

$ echo $[ 65536 * 65536 ]
4294967296

thanks!