And if anyone is going to tell me I should make additional API calls
to try and determine the real source of the error, or I should try and
interpret the returned error message, I am going to remotely install a
VB program on your laptop that is going to repeatedly pick up the
mouse and whack you over the head with it.

What I am really saying is the API is returning a false error message.

The user is properly authenticated. The error is that the target
information resource does not exist. That's why it must return 404.

Try it for yourself and see what I mean:

curl -u username:password
http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/broughtin.json

Dewald