Uh, I guess it was unclear from the subject/body split of the question
what exactly was meant...

"How do I get the user_id for a screen_name WITHOUT using a
rate-limited call or one with authentication."

...can be read:

How do I get the user_id for a screen_name without using a rate-limited call?
And, how do I get the user_id for a screen_name without using one with
authentication.

...or, it could be read:

How do I get the user_id for a screen_name without using a rate-limited call?
Or, how do I get the user_id for a screen_name using one with authentication.

I read it the first way, due to the subject/body split...

Boolean algebra, ftw?

-Chad