is this actually the case?

http://apiwiki.twitter.com/REST+API+Changelog

on the 15th of september, this issue may have been cleared up.

This is an annoying inconsistency with the Twitter API.

If you do an authenticated call to view a user's friends/followers,
and that user is either blocking the authenticated user or is private,
you will not be able to view their friends/followers.  You will get
"not authorized" error.  However, if on Twitter.com, you login and try
to do the same thing, you CAN do this.

The solution in the API is to make UNauthenticated calls and you will
be able to view friends/followers without issue.