You have to think beyond PHP.

1) Consider having a third-party ping monitoring utility ping your PHP
script to hit the Search API for the tag once a minute.
2) Write something in Python or Ruby or C++ and have it run on the
server as a daemon, once a minute. Or have curl or something else
local on the server cron'd to call your script once a minute.
3)  Chad Etzel's TweetHook might be a more real-time option for you
and would remove the necessity of you doing something once a minute --
I would definitely check it out. It will automagically post search
data back to your hook callback URL.

∞ Andy Badera
∞ +1 518-641-1280
∞ This email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private
∞ Google me: http://www.google.com/search?q=andrew%20badera