From: Raffi Krikorian <ra...@twitter.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 1:22 AM
Subject: [twitter-dev] geolocation API update
To: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com,
twitter-api-annou...@googlegroups.com

as some of you may have already noticed, we've started going through the
first steps to get the geolocation API out our door.  there are a few more
steps in the process that i want to share with all of you.

if you start to pull status objects through the API, you'll notice that, for
the majority of them, there is an empty <geo/> tag and for the user objects
there is a <geo_enabled> tag that is set to false.  i say most, because, if
you pull my user object

curl http://twitter.com/users/show/raffi.xml

you'll see that <geo_enabled> is true for me, and if you pull one of my
statuses from yesterday

curl http://twitter.com/statuses/show/4512367904.xml

then you'll see a fully populated <geo> object at the end of that status.

<status>
  <geo xmlns:georss="http://www.georss.org/georss";>
    <georss:Point>37.780300 -122.396900</georss:Point>
  </geo>
</status>

for clarification: the <geo_enabled> will *always* be in a user object
reflecting whether the user has opted-into the geolocation API.  there will
also *always* be a <geo> tag in the status object regardless of whether
there is a location attached to the tweet or not.  if there is no location,
then the tag will be empty.  if there is a location (as above), then the tag
will be populated.

just to lay out a timeline -- we've deployed for internal testing, and soon
we'll be turning this on for the general audience.

--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team

--