I am also very glad to see this functionality added the Twitter
platform, and personally dont care that we created groups already, as
lists adds more functionality that needs to reside on the platform. It
is sorely needed to make the data portable so users can use the best
client in the browser or desktop or mobile devices, and take this data
with them.

However the announcement really was very vague. Avoiding the word
groups seems strange, and tells me they then wont be implemented
purely as subset timelines of the main timeline (suggestable/
followable or not), arranged by following IDs. If they are more
complicated than this, and are more like suggested followings to help
with user discovery (aka TweepML), I suspect many clients will retain
their own group functionality, not really solving this problem (which
maybe Twitter does not consider as much of a priority). If we are
unable to easily display "groups/lists", or whatever you call them, as
subsets of the home timeline I fear a lot of client developers will
end up supporting lists but also having their own Groups features. We
likely would since we have built it already.

Will we get to see the API as it is drafted and being tested for a
period of time before it is released at all (not just a small group of
Twitter friends) so that will know what is intended and have a chance
to adjust development priorities?

--ejw

Eric Woodward
Email: e...@nambu.com