the problem is that a friendship exist is an "expensive" API Call (of
150 possible per hr) I do not know what kind of Application you plan but
for my client App I load the ID's of followers with one API call and
keep this list in memory. If a status become loaded I compare the
icluded UserID with the list and switch the menues depending on
containing this ID or not. This is much faster then request the API each
time.

Only situation which is not working for are search calls because the
delivered result (ATOM) does not contain any userID which is a fail