I only can talk for .NET - A Dictionary(of Long, Boolean) with 5000
Id's needs around 500 Ticks If I request the Method .ContainsKey. I
don't think that an API Request with parsing xml can be faster.
Additional you nail the server with unneeded requests which are
"expensive" (rate limits) too

I don't know your Applicaton but you'll handle all accounts at the
same time? Normaly if an user authenticates the first calls could be
to request the ID Lists and store them during this users sessiontime.
If a user leaves you can free this memory.